Skip to main content

Telling your loved one about endometriosis

 When it comes to starting a new relationship, there is something I always dread. Telling my partner about endometriosis, and while this post isn't just about telling your partner about your endometriosis but any loved on this post will defiantly help you navigate having to tell that special person in your life about your illness.

So how do you communicate about living with endometriosis?

  • Learn more about endometriosis: this way, you can give real information to whoever you are talking to without spreading misinformation.
  • Talk about how it affects you personally: Everyone suffers differently, so telling the person how it affects you can make it easier for them to understand; they may have noticed some things like you being more tired randomly or bloating up. This will help them connect your diagnosis to symptoms. 
  • Timing: Timing is everything. My partner will lay down in bed, can be having a conversation, and will be fast asleep seconds later and not remember a thing we talked about an hour before he went to sleep. Finding a time when no one is distracted and you both can focus on the conversation at hand will limit confusion. 
  • Questions: Your loved one will probably have questions by the end of the conversation, and they may even feel a little too personal. Being prepared for this will help the awkwardness of talking about the female issues and also help you best answer anything they are wondering.
  • Be open and honest: We all know plans can randomly be interrupted because of endometriosis, so be open with who you are talking with and explain that. If you experience pain during sex and you are telling a new or potential partner to be open that sex can be painful at times, and you may need to stop or change how things are happening in the bedroom to limit pain. 
  • Be supportive: While you have to experience the pain and hardship of the condition, do remember those around you are having to watch someone they care about hurting as well as plans being cancelled, intimacy issues, and they also have to put up with our emotions taking over because we can't control them in pain. Be supportive of how they are feeling about everything and respect that they may need to leave you at home (If it's safe) to get a breather and to calm down.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 5 Endometriosis must haves

As an Endometrisoisis suffer i am no stranger to debilitating pain on a consistent basis, because of this i have found a few things that work for me and i am going to share my must-have endometriosis items.   castor oil pack-  now these are super easy to make and i actually have a tutorial on my youtube channel on how to make one  click to go to the video . i love these because they actually help reduce my bloating if i catch it in time. electric blanket-  now i don't mean the ones that you put under the sheets on your bed i mean the ones you take with you on the couch and plug into the powerpoint, they are also known as heating pads in America.    coffee-  i do know this doesn't help everyone but for me at least when i get really crampy and its that kind of pain you get with bowel endometriosis that is so painful but you can't physically go  (if you know then you know)  coffee helps me get things moving  *TMI*  and help reduce that pain. an animal- yes  i

Questions | what do you want to see from my blog?

 This months blog post is a bit different. I have landed up pregnant and because of this, I am at a standstill on what to post. So my question for this blog post is what kind of Endometriosis videos and blog posts would you guys like to see? I have been busily writing a book on Endometriosis trying to get all the information sorted for the book, answering questions etc. at the moment it doesn't feel like a good book just yet so I want to know what you guys are dying to know, and what you want to see so I can make the book, My Endometriosis series and my blog more of what you want to know and see.

Resources to learn more about Endometriosis

While my book on endometriosis is finally in the editing stages, it has a while until it will be ready to be published. Still, I got to thinking about what resources there are now about endo, not only from a medical standpoint but also from a sufferers point of view. I found books for sale as well as other blog posts, which was amazing to see how much there is out there. Still, it got me thinking, people who don't know what they are looking for might never find any of these resources, so I thought I would make a blog post detailing what each resource is about and the link to that resource as well as ways you yourself can find information.  Disclaimer: Podcasts will not be involved in this post, but I do have a post on my blog from May 2021 all about endometriosis podcasts if that's what you are looking for.  So how do you find resources? The easiest way to find resources in your area would be to search up online Endometriosis and your area. Example. Endometriosis San Diego  Th